Farbenmix Taja Mini Sew-a-long
Farbenmix Taja is a pretty easy hooded tunic, but for some reason I stumbled a couple of times along the way. I don’t know if being sick influenced it, or if I just did not read the instructions properly, but I’m quite sure it was me. A couple of the instructions were a little confusing in the English translation, and I had to refer to the German sewing guide. Overall, it was an easy project and now that I know what I’m doing if I chose to make this a second time it would go smoothly and quickly. I wanted to pass along what I learned in case some of you out there encountered the same problems.
First of all, I usually do straight cut of the Farbenmix patterns and do not add seam allowances the first time I make them. This is to give me an idea of where they are actually supposed to be added and such. But, for some reason, this time I went ahead and added the seam allowances. I don’t know if I added them in the wrong place or what, but a couple of the pieces did not match up like they were supposed to when I started to sew them together. You’ll seem them and I’ll explain as I go along.
I chose to use a Primatex cotton dot and a Euro flower print. The Euro print was sitting on my shelf for awhile waiting for the perfect project, and I thought this would be perfect for it. I had actually purchased the dot fabric for something else, but it looked so good with the other that I had to use it.
Now, iron your interface to pieces 7 and 9, and sew them together. This is what you should have when you have completed this step. One long piece.
I finished both sides of this with my serger as per the directions. I think that you only should finish one side though. You’ll want to finish the side that is going to face inward after sewing it around the front and hood. You do not need to serge the bottoms.
Now, on to step 2. This is where I encounter a piece problem. Remember, I added the seam allowance. The shoulders are supposed to be the same size. I think part of the problem was that I was supposed to end where piece 9 began on the pattern sheet. This was unclear. So, I had to trim this down and fudge it. If this happens to you, just trim for the shoulder following the back neckline.
Here’s what I ended up with after trimming and serging the pieces together.
I, then, took a moment to reflect on fabric choices. I asked my daughter what fabric she wanted to use for the hood…she picked the green. I think she made a good choice.
This is the shoulders after I topstitched the seam.
Now, step 3, sew your hood pieces together. They should look like this.
Then, you need to topstitch them. This is a tricky step…just feed the fabric slowly and carefully through your machine. Make sure you keep it smooth as it goes through.
Now on to steps 4 and 5. I chose to use satin ribbon as my closure for the top. You sandwich it between your trim piece and the top. The instructions are pretty spot on here. Just sew the trim piece around, starting in the middle of the hood and going out. Then, fold this piece over, iron, and topstitch it in place.
You run two rows of topstitching along this trim.
Here is what you should have at this point.
Now, step 6 and 7. Attach the front and back bottom pieces to your top, leaving the side seams unworked. Make sure you iron and topstitch after attaching these. Then, attach the sleeves to your tunic. Side seams of sleeves should be unstitched.
Now, you sew up the side seam from bottom of the tunic through to the end of the sleeves. Then, serge your arm and bottom hems, turn under, iron, and topstitch. You should now have what is pictured below.
Close-up of hem.
Then, you cut your ribbons to length and try it on your little model. I really like this pattern and it makes a very versatile tunic. Depending on the fabric you use, it can be appropriate for all seasons. If you add a little length, it would make a great swim suit cover-up for the summer. It can also be made without the hood.